News:

Need help with Finale? Have a question about arranging? NSM Resources is the place to go!

Main Menu

[SNES] EarthBound - "Smiles and Tears" (Replacement) by XiaoMigros

Started by Zeta, September 14, 2023, 03:21:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: EarthBound/Mother
Game: EarthBound
Console: Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Title: Smiles and Tears
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: XiaoMigros

Replacement Information:

Links to Existing Sheet: MUS | MIDI | PDF
Replacement Type: Challenge (new arranger)

Latios212

Note for others: Radiak and I are discussing this sheet in depth over DMs and we'll post here once the three of us have the next draft of the sheet ready
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Latios212

To confirm that this submission has not been forgotten about - Radiak, Xiao, and I have been making good progress going through this sheet at various points over the past few months. Should have stuff to show here sometime soon(ish)!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

XiaoMigros

..aand ta-da! thanks both for the extensive time reviewing :)

Kricketune54

Sorry for the extended wait on feedback - this seems very well arranged, and thanks to everyone involved (Dad's included).

• m1 it sounds to me like the LH restrikes on beat 3.5 but that restrike holds to end of m2.
• m34  RH 2nd layer 4.0 you probably could manually adjust the Gn so it's sharing the same spot as the first layer Gn.
• In similar vein at m72 and 80, maybe you could hide the tie in RH 2nd layer between 2.5 and 3.0 (can have both layers' ties overlap visually).
• m72 LH swap beat lengths for 1.0 and 1.5

Don't have too many specific things as you can see, but I kind of want to look a little more at a few measures, before approving. Just need to finalize my thoughts on some spots where it's a bit more arranged, but I don't want to be too driven by personal preferences.

Latios212

Quote from: Latios212 on March 08, 2024, 08:50:27 AMTo confirm that this submission has not been forgotten about - Radiak, Xiao, and I have been making good progress going through this sheet at various points over the past few months. Should have stuff to show here sometime soon(ish)!
Quote from: XiaoMigros on May 16, 2024, 07:38:57 AM..aand ta-da! thanks both for the extensive time reviewing :)
I apologize for not posting in here earlier with any details, but yeah there was a lot of back and forth that would have unfortunately taken forever on the forums. I'm satisfied with this sheet in its current state and am almost ready to approve. A few small final things as I scan through the PDF:
- Overlapping noteheads need readjusting in m. 34 beat 4
- The cross-staff beams in m. 44-47 could use a bit of adjusting, in particular having m. 46 first half angle up and maybe adding a bit more space between staves so the latter ones in m. 45/47 don't overlap the top staff?
- I forget if Radiak had any final thoughts about the "I miss you" in m. 89, but I'm fine with it as written.
- Some notes/accidentals are a bit squished like in m. 49/51 (between beat 2.5-3), 81 (between beats 2.5-3) and 86 (the natural), mind checking the spacing is all up to date?
- (I do think crediting the dads in the special thanks section is a bit excessive ahaha)

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

XiaoMigros

Quote from: Kricketune54 on July 11, 2024, 08:27:43 AM• In similar vein at m72 and 80, maybe you could hide the tie in RH 2nd layer between 2.5 and 3.0 (can have both layers' ties overlap visually).
I don't think I agree with this, I think it should be clear the notes are tied in each layer

The other changes have been made, thanks for reviewing :)

Quote from: Kricketune54 on July 11, 2024, 08:27:43 AMJust need to finalize my thoughts on some spots where it's a bit more arranged, but I don't want to be too driven by personal preferences.
If you have any thoughts by all means share them!

Quote from: Latios212 on July 21, 2024, 11:26:00 AM- The cross-staff beams in m. 44-47 could use a bit of adjusting, in particular having m. 46 first half angle up and maybe adding a bit more space between staves so the latter ones in m. 45/47 don't overlap the top staff?
I don't think there's enough vertical space available to move them outside the staff, but you're right about the angles being off so I adjusted those

Quote from: Latios212 on July 21, 2024, 11:26:00 AM- (I do think crediting the dads in the special thanks section is a bit excessive ahaha)
This was a joke and has been removed (forgot)

Latios212

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Radiak488417

We're so cloooooose!!!!

-m70 RH beat 3: I'm not entirely sure what extra information is conveyed by having the F# in both layers at once, I'd vote for removing it from layer 2.

-m91 beat 1.5: Personally I think the layer 2 G here distracts from the melody and it's pretty quiet in the original, thoughts on taking it out? In our Discord sessions I recall removing a lot of other similar background notes that repeat melody notes.

Quote from: Latios212 on July 21, 2024, 11:26:00 AM- I forget if Radiak had any final thoughts about the "I miss you" in m. 89, but I'm fine with it as written.
Yeah, I still pretty strongly disagree with notating this as distinct pitches since it's just spoken and not really meant to be a sung/played line. I proposed these 3 options in Discord but I'll reshare them here:

Option 1
[close]
 Option 2
[close]
 Option 3
[close]

XiaoMigros

Quote from: Radiak488417 on July 21, 2024, 08:39:44 PM-m91 beat 1.5: Personally I think the layer 2 G here distracts from the melody and it's pretty quiet in the original, thoughts on taking it out? In our Discord sessions I recall removing a lot of other similar background notes that repeat melody notes.
I moved this down an octave instead

Quote from: Radiak488417 on July 21, 2024, 08:39:44 PMI proposed these 3 options in Discord but I'll reshare them here:
We're still awaiting others' thoughts...

Kricketune54

Radiak could you reshare the images? I do not see them it them and following the links says "content unavailable".