Game: Xenoblade Chronicles 3
Console: Nintendo Switch
Title: Nia - Toward the Heavens
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Latios212

Latios212

My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

cashwarrior1

whaaat I didn't realize ACE wrote this one (the original, and this arrangement), that's really cool

Latios212

Yeah, it's easy to forget the vocal songs aren't all by Mitsuda xD

This was a really fun piece to do

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

TheZeldaPianist275

This was a pleasant surprise to wake up to--I love this one, hearing it slowly fade in in-game was unforgettable. This is a really elegant arrangement Latios.

Latios212

Thank you very much! I had a lot of fun writing the arrangement and am very happy with how it sounds on piano overall. Reaching this point in this game was also surreal with the first really in-your-face musical callbacks ^^

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Bloop

Looking pretty good, just a few things:
-m5: I hear A-G in 8ths in the cello on beat 1. Also, maybe forte is a bit more appropiate at the end of this bar? The next few bars seem similarly gracefully strong as the part starting at m37
-m14: I hear another G in the harp on beat 4
-m17: Beat 3 here is rolled too
-m31: I hear a D on beat 2.25 in the L.H., it's a bit hard to hear when slowed down on youtube but I can hear it a bit more clearly at full speed. Also, I hear the A-B dyad re-struck on beat 3

Latios212

Thanks for giving it a look!

Quote from: Bloop on January 20, 2024, 03:29:15 AM-m5: I hear A-G in 8ths in the cello on beat 1. Also, maybe forte is a bit more appropiate at the end of this bar? The next few bars seem similarly gracefully strong as the part starting at m37
Forte sounds good! About the A, I feel like the original is still playing a G quarter but it's just very quiet at the beginning which is why the A feels like it hangs over perhaps?

Quote from: Bloop on January 20, 2024, 03:29:15 AM-m14: I hear another G in the harp on beat 4
Ah yeah, that is there. I didn't want it to get confused with the melody pickup at the end of the measure, but I think any other way of writing it would look even weirder so I added it in and left the 16th rest before beat 4.75.

Quote from: Bloop on January 20, 2024, 03:29:15 AM-m17: Beat 3 here is rolled too
Yep!

Quote from: Bloop on January 20, 2024, 03:29:15 AM-m31: I hear a D on beat 2.25 in the L.H., it's a bit hard to hear when slowed down on youtube but I can hear it a bit more clearly at full speed. Also, I hear the A-B dyad re-struck on beat 3
Thanks, this measure did strike me as a bit empty before. Although listening again, I feel like beat 2.25 is an E and beat 3 is just the A. Thoughts?

Files updated :)

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Bloop

Quote from: Latios212 on January 20, 2024, 05:25:54 PMForte sounds good! About the A, I feel like the original is still playing a G quarter but it's just very quiet at the beginning which is why the A feels like it hangs over perhaps?
I still have a hard time hearing the G start on beat 1, it sounds like it only gets an attack on 1.5. I could see the A lingering on as reverb, so you could also tie the A from beat 4.5 over to this bar and have the G on beat 1.5? If not we can defer it to another updater :p

Quote from: Latios212 on January 20, 2024, 05:25:54 PMAh yeah, that is there. I didn't want it to get confused with the melody pickup at the end of the measure, but I think any other way of writing it would look even weirder so I added it in and left the 16th rest before beat 4.75.
I guess that works yeah! I'm usually a fun if incorporating a lot of slurs as a phrasing indication, which would help to differentiate here (either as the start of the melody in beat 4.75, or just putting the harp part in one slur), but it'd be weird to have it at just this measure.

Quote from: Latios212 on January 20, 2024, 05:25:54 PMThanks, this measure did strike me as a bit empty before. Although listening again, I feel like beat 2.25 is an E and beat 3 is just the A. Thoughts?
Ah yeah, you're right! I think there's a quiet higher harp line that plays the B on beat 2.5 and converges with the lower one on beat 3 (I had a hard time hearing the B first time around in general), so you could also leave out the B if you want.

I'll approve whatever you decide on doing for the first and third points ^^

Latios212

Quote from: Bloop on January 21, 2024, 04:08:01 AMI still have a hard time hearing the G start on beat 1, it sounds like it only gets an attack on 1.5. I could see the A lingering on as reverb, so you could also tie the A from beat 4.5 over to this bar and have the G on beat 1.5? If not we can defer it to another updater :p
Yeah, I think I prefer this as I have it, can wait for another opinion ^^

Quote from: Bloop on January 21, 2024, 04:08:01 AMI guess that works yeah! I'm usually a fun if incorporating a lot of slurs as a phrasing indication, which would help to differentiate here (either as the start of the melody in beat 4.75, or just putting the harp part in one slur), but it'd be weird to have it at just this measure.
Yeah, I'd normally do something like that but it'd look kind of out of place here.

Quote from: Bloop on January 21, 2024, 04:08:01 AMAh yeah, you're right! I think there's a quiet higher harp line that plays the B on beat 2.5 and converges with the lower one on beat 3 (I had a hard time hearing the B first time around in general), so you could also leave out the B if you want.
Ah, I hadn't thought about that harp line at all! All the same, I did hear that major second dyad pretty prominently in the original so I think I'll leave it for now, but maybe change my mind later if someone else thinks otherwise too.

Thanks again for checking! (I haven't made any additional changes)

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Bloop

Alrighty, then I'll approve! For the next updater, we'd love a comment on the cello in m5 beat 1 ^^

Kricketune54

• m33 RH 2nd layer beat 3 hearing not tied and a Cn
• m37 given the harp rolls quite prominently here, I think you could add a roll to the notes as well. Seems grander and more inline with original idk
• m46 RH 4.0 hearing Dn in middle not E.
• m48 getting a little cluttered, but I think the audible F# here (F#3 specifically) could be pulled up an octave and put in the RH and it would fill out the chord that much more. Will leave up to you

Latios212

Quote from: Kricketune54 on January 28, 2024, 03:28:07 PM• m33 RH 2nd layer beat 3 hearing not tied and a Cn
Ah thanks, that sounds much better!

Quote from: Kricketune54 on January 28, 2024, 03:28:07 PM• m37 given the harp rolls quite prominently here, I think you could add a roll to the notes as well. Seems grander and more inline with original idk
Ooh, that didn't occur to me, I like that a lot! I added to a few chords in m. 37-38 where I heard it most prominently. Hopefully it doesn't sound too strange with them dropping off after that as I don't hear the harp rolls much after those first few times.

Quote from: Kricketune54 on January 28, 2024, 03:28:07 PM• m46 RH 4.0 hearing Dn in middle not E.
That's an Eb (not too easy to miss, is it?), and I still hear it as such

Quote from: Kricketune54 on January 28, 2024, 03:28:07 PM• m48 getting a little cluttered, but I think the audible F# here (F#3 specifically) could be pulled up an octave and put in the RH and it would fill out the chord that much more. Will leave up to you
Good point, I'll swap the G out for it, listening again this sounds like a D7. The G I was hearing might be a remnant of the previous measure and it's not as important as the F# anyway.

Files updated, thank you for the check! Also, did you have any comment on the last item Bloop wasn't sure about above? (The G in the LH of m. 5 beat 1)

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Kricketune54

Quote from: Latios212 on January 29, 2024, 08:08:42 PMAh thanks, that sounds much better!
Ooh, that didn't occur to me, I like that a lot! I added to a few chords in m. 37-38 where I heard it most prominently. Hopefully it doesn't sound too strange with them dropping off after that as I don't hear the harp rolls much after those first few times.
Good additions, though I think you could potentially also add one at m45 RH?

QuoteThat's an Eb (not too easy to miss, is it?), and I still hear it as such
Yeah relistening it's Eb, was hard to tell...

QuoteFiles updated, thank you for the check! Also, did you have any comment on the last item Bloop wasn't sure about above? (The G in the LH of m. 5 beat 1)
Thank you for the reminder. I pitched up and hear G as a quarter note pretty clearly

Just let me know if you think that roll makes sense to add, I don't have anything else

Latios212

Quote from: Kricketune54 on January 31, 2024, 06:33:16 PMGood additions, though I think you could potentially also add one at m45 RH?
Oh yeah, sounds good to me, added!

Quote from: Kricketune54 on January 31, 2024, 06:33:16 PMYeah relistening it's Eb, was hard to tell...
Cool. I was also wondering if you thought that was easy to misread on the sheet. It doesn't need a courtesy accidental, but just wanted to mention in case omitting one makes it easy to misread.

Thanks for checking m. 5 as well. Files are up to date!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle